Get Your Tax Refund
File your Federal Taxes for
Free with TurboTax Federal FREE Edition
FREE to Prepare + FREE to Print + FREE to E-file
- Get your maximum refund*
- 100% accurate calculations guaranteed*
TurboTax Federal Free Edition - File Taxes Online
Don't let filing your taxes get you down! We'll help make it as easy as possible. With e-file and direct deposit, there's no faster way to get your refund!
Approved TurboTax Affiliate Site. TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other parties' trademarks or service marks are the property of the respective owners.
How To File Your 2012 Tax ReturnFile Taxes Last Year2006 Tax Forms1040 Tax Form 2011Tax Credit For MilitaryHow To Fill Out The 1040ez2007 Free Tax SoftwareTurbotax Premier Federal & State Returns Plus Federal E File 2013Free Tax Calculator 2011Can I Amend My Tax ReturnFree Tax FilingFile 2010 Taxes Online FreeFree Military TurbotaxFilling Out 1040ezIrs File ExtensionFree State Income Tax FilingFree Tax PrepHow Much Do Students Get Back In TaxesFill Out 1040ez OnlineCan Amended Returns Be E Filed1040ez Instruction Book1040 Ez FormIncome Tax Ez FormIrsform1040xStudent Income TaxHow Do I File An Amended Tax Return For 20121040 Ez Free2010 1040Irs Amended Tax FormFree Hr Block2012 Income Tax Form 10402009 Federal Income Tax FormsFree Federal State Tax FilingTax Forms 2008File 1040ez Online Free2010 TaxactFreestatetaxesDo I Amend Tax ReturnFreefile Irs GovAmendment Form 1040xIrs 1040 Form
How To File Your 2012 Tax ReturnHow to file your 2012 tax return Publication 51 - Additional Material Prev Up Next Home More Online Publications
Understand the Requirements
Bankruptcy generally is considered the debt management option of last resort because the results are long lasting and far reaching. The Bankruptcy Abuse and Prevention Act of 2005 established more stringent rules for consumers and attorneys.
The filing process may be difficult for debtors:
- Debtors must file more documents; including itemized statements of monthly net income, proof of income (pay stubs) for the last 60 days, and tax returns for the preceding year (four years for Chapter 13).
- Debtors must take a pre-filing credit counseling and post-filing education course to have debts discharged.
- Debtors face increased filing fees, plus fees for credit counseling/education.
- The bankruptcy petition and process are more complicated, so it's very difficult to file without an attorney.
The filing process is difficult for lawyers:
- An attorney's signature on a petition certifies that the attorney has performed a reasonable investigation into the circumstances giving rise to the petition.
- Attorneys must carefully review documents such as tax returns and pay stubs, as well as ask clients for credit reports.
- Attorneys are more apprehensive about sanctions.